Tuesday, October 31, 2017

She didn’t have much time to write so she asked me to send this short note along with excerpts from her letter to me.  So if it is a little disjointed this week, you know why!!

From her letter to me:

My week was good. We had lots of neat experiences and tender mercies. The weather changes every second I swear.. some minutes its so cold im dying, and others im just in one thin jacket. And then another second it starts to snow, and the wind, and then sun! AH! haha. 
Yep I sing hymns, read Jesus the Christ, and read my Libro De Mormon when I feel down or stressed (sooo everyday lol). We have a few awesome investigators, but its so hard to get ahold of people here because they hate to answer their phones and they hate committment. We have had SO many appointments fall through its a joke. But, those who want to learn will learn. And we are teaching a mom of a 18 year old member, and she came to church twice and is super amazing! Mom the poverty in that family is unbelievable. They barely have enough for food for the week. Their house is smaller and darker than my bedroom at home, and there are 4 of them. Its crazy. But yet on Sundays she puts on her best clothes and comes to church!

I am sleeping well, (trying to) eat well, but oh the panaderias here are soooo tempting!, Sharing my testimony and teaching during lessons more and more as I because a little more comfortable with the language each week ( I still have a long way to go).
The mission is so much more different than I originally htought it was. I thought it would be a grind every second of every day, so when I got here, I started out at full speed GO GO GO. I learned real quick that this is not a sprint, but a marathon, and its ok to take 10 minutes to cook something or buy a treat or talk to another missionary. I wanted to just run out the door and every second of the day teach people, but the mission is so much more than that. We have 3 hours of different studies each day, service and helping out the other missionaries, attending and setting up baptisms, staying long after church, meetings with the ward mission leader (hermano polanco.. he is a BOSS), and SO much more. I am learning to adjust to all of the many responsibilities and things we have to do. Its not just teaching, but being an example and a light in every moment, even on the busses or taxis. Or when we are walking miles to go pick up a lunch, or walking to an investigaotrs house. Its crazy how many things happen in one day. I hope one day to tell you about each and every detail! 
Know for now that I am learning to de-stress, have patience and humility, and remembering to have a little fun. Not in a disobedient way, but in a way that reminds me that I am still just a 19 year old girl, on an adventure, learning to share the message that brings her the most happiness! I am starting to meet more missionaries and make more friends.
 I've realized I am still in the first 3 miles of my 18 mile journey! 

I sent Amy a bunch of pictures- Aw yeah the Trunk or Treat! So sick! I LOVE THE PICS! You and dad are so cute... Aly and Ash are WAY too gorgeous for their own goods... and OH BRANDON HAHAHA. I cant even handle him.  So good to see Dave, Osten, and the Lytles faces!
Man Aly and Ash are so gorgous in those pictures with the Young Women... and wow those Daland girls got so big... have I really only been gone 11 weeks? I love seeing pics of all the young women! They are all so beautiful! I hope they are all doing well. 


Then she wrote to you all:

HOLAAAAA BUENOS

This week was great! 
One super neat experience - Saturday evening me and my comp went to an investigators house to get to know them (they live in our area, but the elders from a different area are teaching them along with me and my comp). Laura and Marcelo. Super amazing. They are super prepared and want to be baptized the 11 of NOVEMBER! We were talking with them and felt prompted to share a scripture - Isaiah 41:10 and 13. As we read the scripture, Laura began to cry. We asked what was wrong. She said that she had prayer 30 minutes before, and this scripture was the exact ansewr that she needed! We were all super surprised, but so happy that we were able to be instruments in the Lords hands for her! I have no doubt they will be baptized in the coming week.... oh my goodness I am so excited! This church is true! God lives, and He blesses us each day. 

The mission is hard, but I am learning so much about myself and about God each and every day.

Funny story - there was a baptism in the other ward this week, so we went to support them. When we arrived, half the church was flooded because someone forgot to turn off the font!!!! So we spend like 30 minutes trying to clean up all of the water... yikes!!! But the baptism went well (although we had to start like 40 minutes late!) Goodness gracias.


Lots of love
Hermana Holt